Battle of the Books
Battle of the Books is an optional reading opportunity for 4th and 5th grade students to: self select a team, read chosen books and to compete against other teams in the school regarding information from the books.
Books used in the Battle of the Books are chosen by the LWSD Elementary Librarians based on current award nominees, professional reviews, and student interest. Each June, the list is posted for the upcoming school year.
Students are responsible for creating their teams, signing up with a team, and devising a strategy to read the books. In general, the more members of a team that have read a book, the more likely someone will remember the details of the question. Teams that have done well have read early, read often, and re-read books!
Teams participate in a double elimination tournament during recesses. Mrs. Teachout moderates all battles. Our championship team then competes with other schools within our district, via a live web chat, in a single elimination tournament. District questions are different than the school battle questions and are more difficult.
School Battles begin in early to mid January. District Battles take place in February.
Battle sign-ups are taking place right now!
Battle of the Books Rules
- Teams shall consist of no more than four members, grades 4 - 5.
- Students may be from different classes.
- Each battle consists of 15 questions.
- Teams are each given the same question. Teams have 30 seconds to discuss the answer.
- Answers are written on an erasable board, and turned around at the same time.
- One point is given for each correct answer.
- If a tie occurs, questions are given until one team answers incorrectly.
- Battles will not be rescheduled due to student illness or vacations.
- Substitutes for missing team members are not allowed