WELCOME TO TMS ELEMENTARY BAND 2021-22
*Welcome to Elementary Beginning (1st year) and Cadet (2nd year) Band!
*We have a great program for 4th AND 5th graders.
*Please visit the LWSD Elementary Band/Orchestra Page for the most up-to-date information!
*Hopefully your student is as excited about joining us as I am about teaching!
2021-22 Elementary Bands that serve Rosa Parks, Ella Baker, and Wilder Elementary Schools meet at Timberline Middle School (for in-person models)
|9/13 - 10/1||
|All Elementary Band and Orchestra||LWSD Website||Click the link to register for Band!|
|Week of 9/20||Information Night for Band and Orchestra||All Elementary Band and Orchestra||TEAMS Live Event (link coming soon)||Join us to learn more about the program and how to get started with instrument rentals!|
|9/27||Instruction Begins||All Levels||Virtual Event||7:30a - 8:10a|
|TBD||Winter Concert||All Levels||Virtual Event||TBD|
|TBD||Spring Concert||All Levels||TBD||Our final concert of the season!|
|Last Day of Band for Cadet||Cadet||TBD||Our last day of the season. Let's party!|
|6/3||Last Day of Band for the Year||Beginning||TBD||Our last day of the season. Let's party!|
The Weekly Schedule is as follows:
|Flutes (Woodwinds)||Clarinets/Alto Saxophones (Woodwinds)||Trumpets/Trombones/Euphonium (Brass)||Percussion||All (General)|
Meetings will happen in the appropriate channel (Woodwinds, Brass, Percussion, or General)
The first few days for Beginning Band, we will begin finalizing rosters, teaching rehearsal procedures, do some rhythmic and singing activities (yes, we also sing in band!) and show them how to get on the buses*.
* buses not applicable for virtual band.
- So, if you’re waiting on an instrument or a book, they’ll be fine.
- We’ll get going on that the next week’s classes.
- Please refrain from getting an early start on your instrument (especially woodwinds, as assembly can be tricky (and expensive if done incorrectly!))
- We will teach instrument assembly and first sounds in the first few weeks, once logistics are settled.
Coming to TMS in the morning:
(for in-person model with all three schools)
- Mr. Sloan is here by 7:20 AM at the latest
- Students can expect to enter the band room at 7:30 AM
- At 7:30 AM, Elementary Band students will be arriving through the side door. Students will be shown where this door is and how to access it during their first week of band.
- The Doors will be NOT be open for Elementary Band arrival. Please ensure that you are arrive AT 7:30 AM, so that I may let you in. Do not arrive too early; you won't be allowed in. If you are late, you must buzz in through the Main Doors.
- Rehearsal begins promptly, and without exception, at 7:40 AM and will run until 8:30 AM.
- Immediately following rehearsal, students will be bussed back to their home schools.
- Clear language is expected soon from the district regarding absolute transportation policies, but the current policy is that, to ensure student safety, ALL BAND STUDENTS SHOULD PLAN ON RIDING THE BUS FROM TMS TO THEIR HOME SCHOOL. Exceptions (parent transportation, etc.) need to notify band staff of their plans, so that we know how your student will be getting to school. Alternative transportation (biking, etc.) will be considered on a case-by-case basis and is subject to a clear line of communication with your student's home school.
- At TMS and on the buses, your best behavior is expected. Failure to comply with the instructions of TMS staff members or our bus drivers may result in expulsion from the program.
PLEASE CARPOOL as much as you can to help alleviate traffic congestion.
As always, you are free to contact us with any questions or concerns!
Thank you, and we look forward to meeting and working with you!
- Meet the Instructor!
- What Instruments Can I Choose?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How To Clean Your Instruments
- Elementary Band On-line Sign up (this is a district webpage for ALL Elementary Band and Orchestra in the LWSD.)
- Recruiting Brochure (2021-22)
- Elementary Band/Orchestra Information Night (2021-22)
- Class Expectations
- Concert Etiquette
- Private Lessons
- Essential Elements